Presentation for the College Orchestra Directors Association National Conference, January 28, 2023
Compiled by Robert Baldwin, Director of Orchestras, University of Utah
Sources for Scores (and often parts)
- Lucks Music Library: https://www.lucksmusic.com/
- Kalmus: https://www.kalmus.com/search.php?q=Chadwick
- Petrucci Music Library/IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page
- A/R Editions: https://www.areditions.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Chadwick
- The Fleischer Collection at the Philadelphia Free Library (currently limited availability) http://libwww.freelibrary.org/assets/pdf/fleisher/fleisher-conditions-of-loan.pdf
- New England Conservatory Library: Contact Mary-Alice Perrin Mohr: firstname.lastname@example.org (Note, most manuscripts and some original performance parts are in the NEC Library. NEC is only listed as a source below if the score and parts not be easily obtained elsewhere)
- Library of Congress: https://catalog.loc.gov/
- Amazon.com (Several printed score titles available, search “George Chadwick score”)
Rip Van Winkle – 1879 (10’)
220.127.116.11/18.104.22.168. timp, str. (Two versions: the original, longer 1879 version- A/R Editions), and an “Americanized” version from 1929 (Fleisher, picc.2222/4231/timp. 3 perc. It was produced by Eastman School of Music and distributed by Birchard in 1930 (A/R Editions – original edition, newly edited (preferred); Fleischer Collection – “Americanized” edition)
Thalia – 1882 (14’)
The Miller’s Daughter – 1886 (Song and Overture for Baritone Voice and Orchestra) 2222/4200/timp. Str. (NEC Library)
Melpomene, Dramatic Overture – 1887 (12’) 2+1.1+1.2.2/22.214.171.124,timp,perc,str (Lucks, Kalmus, Fleischer Collection)
A Pastoral Prelude for Orchestra – 1890 (13’) (NEC Library, Fleischer Collection)
Adonais Overture – 1899 (15’) 2+126.96.36.199/188.8.131.52,timp,perc, hp, str (A-R Editions- a new edition, Fleischer Collection, ms. on IMSLP)
Euterpe – 1903 (10’) 2+184.108.40.206/220.127.116.11,timp,hp,str (score and parts on IMSLP, Kalmus, Fleischer Collection)
Anniversary Overture (1922) 2.1+1.2.2/18.104.22.168,timp,perc, cel, str (NEC Library, ms. score on IMSLP)
Symphonies and symphonic works
Symphony No. 1 in C, op. 5 – 1881 (30’)22.214.171.124/126.96.36.199/tmp str. (NEC Library, ms. score on IMSLP). No live recording. Midi of 1st mvt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7siY99sM6w
Symphony No. 2 in B-flat, op. 21 – 1885 (35’) 188.8.131.52/184.108.40.206,timp,str (Lucks, Kalmus, IMSLP, Fleischer Collection)
Symphony No. 3 in F – 1893 (35’) 220.127.116.11/18.104.22.168,timp,str (Lucks, Kalmus, IMSLP, Fleisher Collection) First prize of the 1894 competition at the National Conservatory of Music, with a $300 cash prize, judged by Dvorak.
Symphonic Sketches – 1895-1904 (31’) 2+1.1+1.2+1.2/22.214.171.124,timp,perc,hp,str (Lucks, Kalmus, IMSLP, Fleischer Collection) Movements are playable separately: Jubilee, Noel, Hobgoblin, Vagrom Ballad.
Sinfonietta in D – 1904 (27’) 2+126.96.36.199/188.8.131.52,timp,perc,hp,str (Lucks, Kalmus, Fleischer Collection)
Suite Symphonique in E-flat – 1909 (30’) 2+184.108.40.206/220.127.116.11,timp,perc,hp,str (Lucks, Kalmus)
Cleopatra, Symphonic Poem – 1904 (21’) 2+1.2+1.2+1.2/18.104.22.168,timp,perc, hp, cel (ad lib), str. (Fleischer Collection, NEC Performance Library)
Aphrodite, Symphonic Fantasy – 1911 (30’) 3.2+1.2+1.2+1/22.214.171.124,timp,perc, cel, str. Opt. offstage trumpets and drums. (Kalmus, IMSLP)
Tam O’Shanter, Symphonic Ballade – 1915 (20’) 2+1.2+1.3+1.2/126.96.36.199,timp,perc,hp,str (Lucks, Kalmus, Fleischer Collection)
Angel of Death – 1918 (14’) 2+1.2+1.2+1.2/188.8.131.52,timp,hp,str (ms. on IMSLP. Score and Parts in the NEC Library and the Fleischer Collection)
Other Orchestral Works
Andante for Strings (ed. Girsberger) (15’) – str (Kalmus)
Serenade in F for Strings – 1890 (27’) – str (Kalmus, Fleischer Collection)
Eastern Morn for cello and orch., arr. Goodrich/Girsberger (4’) 184.108.40.206/220.127.116.11,hp,str,cello solo (Kalmus)
Tabasco March from the Opera, Tabasco – 1894 (3’) 2+18.104.22.168/22.214.171.124. perc. str (IMSLP. A version also exists for Concert Band)
Elegy, In memoriam Horatio Parker – 1920 (NEC, Fleischer Collection)
3 Pezzi par Orchestra – 1923 (NEC, Fleischer Collection)
Works for Chorus and Orchestra (not studied for this presentation)
- Dedication Ode (H.B. Carpenter), S, A, T, B, SATB, orchestra, 1883
- Noël (Boston, 1888)
- Lovely Rosabelle (W. Scott), S, T, SATB, orchestra, 1889
- The Pilgrims (F.D. Hemans), SATB, orchestra, 1890
- Phoenix expirans (cant., Lat. hymn), S, A, T, B, SATB, orchestra, 1891
- Ode for the Opening of the Chicago World’s Fair (H. Monroe), S, T, SATB, wind ens, orchestra, 1892
- The Lily Nymph (Bates), S, T, B, B, SATB, orchestra, 1894–5
- Ecce jam noctis (J.G. Parker, after St Gregory), male vv, org, orchestra, 1897
- Noël (various texts), pastoral, solo vv, SATB, orchestra, 1907–8
- Baldwin, Robert. George Chadwick’s Tam ‘O Shanter: Culmination of a Descriptive Orchestral Style. DMA Dissertation Document, University of Arizona, 1996.
- Faucett, Bill: George Whitefield Chadwick: His Symphonic Works. Lanham, MD.: Scarecrow Press, 1996
- Faucett, Bill. George Whitefield Chadwick: A Bio-Bibliography. Westport, CT.: Greenwood Press, 1998.
- Faucett, Bill. George Whitefield Chadwick: The Life and Music of the Pride of New England. Boston: Northeastern University Press, 2012.
- Hamm, Charles: Music in the New World. New York: W.W. Norton, 1983.
- Hitchcock, H. Wiley. Music in These United States. Englewood Cliffs, NJ.: Prentice Hall, 1988.
- Yellin, Victor Fell. Chadwick: Yankee Composer. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1990.