As a conductor, listening is an important component of what I do. Interestingly, I am often asked what I listen to for pleasure. I’m not sure why what I listen to should be considered more interesting or important than others. Certainly it is not. For the curious though, here is my playlist from the past month or so of non work-related listening.
1. J.S. Bach: Christmas Oratorio. (Dresden Kreutzchor); Musical Offering (Concertante of London); Art of the Fugue (Emerson Qtet) ; 6 Suites (Callas, viola).
2. Tin Hat/Tin Hat Trio–every album I could find. AMAZING stuff!
3. Spock’s Beard: Octane; X
4. Yo -Yo Ma and Silk Road Ensemble: Journeys; Enchantment
5. Paul Simon: Graceland
6. David Bowie: The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
7. Frank Sinatra: Sinatra’s Swingin’ Session
8. Lou Harrison: In Memory; The Music of Lou Harrison; Gamelan Music; Lou Harrison for Strings.
Eclectic, huh? So, what are YOU listening to for pleasure?